Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Strongest Influence

The strongest influence on any young person would differ from what he was taught, to what he wants to present himself as. Going home to his family a young adult would not speak like he would to his classmates; Wording and speech will change to more respectful style. When the young adult is in front of his classmates he might present himself more relaxed letting some words or terms slip out without a worry. Put in a situation like an interview, the form we speak in will change to a more formal and polite style. Going back to our peers, some young adults would change their speech to something different to fit in with a group or attract a classmate he or she has feelings for. I believe that the influence to how we speak comes from the environment we were raised in and the way we were talked to. Raised more freely we might speak openly and not well fitted for the environment, but raised more on the side of lock down and proper speech, we might adjust to the environment put in front of us. I on the other hand try to keep my speech normal and fitted for any event or environment. Sometimes I do happen to slip and say something I shouldn't but I always try my best to keep a look out and listen to what I say before I say it. We might not have control in the beginning but we surely can work to make it proper at times needed. 

4 comments:

  1. This is a nice way of wording the topic and giving it detail. Wish i heard more of your personal input.It amazes me more hearing about you personally cause i know you then to hear about the random person that i cant relate to

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too fit my speech to adjust to any environment as well. Code switching in my opinion seems like too much work so I just try not to use certain words in certain areas and that seems to work for me. Having one behavior in the work place and one outside seems tough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree 100% because most of what a person knows depends on their background and how they were taught/raised. I liked that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading your blog I notice your blog is on the line of "think before you talk", however I feel like we adjust who we are to fit a area and there is no thinking. As if we are prone to adjust and create a person for every area because thinking takes too long, we just have to make it a routine.

    ReplyDelete